Monday, December 14, 2009

Stocking Shuffle 5K

Quick race report. Was hoping for something better, but a cold day, icy trails, and a long (3.2 miles) course led to a disappointing 19:10.

But at least I defended Colo Springs against those posers up north by whooping this guy!

Started off quickly. Only about three or four of us able to keep pace, though it wasn't very long before Gerald took off. I tried to put the hammer down early to drop Brandon. Figured I'd hit the mile in 5:45. But when we finally got to the mile mark my watch read 6:10. WTF? Sure that was long.

Crossing a bridge at the one mile mark, there was a runner right behind me and I assumed it was Brandon. I decided to see if I could catch up to Gerald, who was probably ten seconds ahead. I knew if I caught him he'd drop me again, but I thought it would be cool to see if I could get up to him. I picked up the pace but couldn't get any closer. As we crossed the bridge near Colorado College, I saw that the guy behind me wasn't Brandon. I assume at this point he was lying on the course in the fetal position way behind me. The free lunch at King's Chef was already mine.

Continued to push back down the Santa Fe trail. Got a little gap on the third place guy. Couldn't see Gerald anymore, but I was still running hard. Then I hit the two mile mark in just under 13. And the two mile mark was the same place as the one mile mark. So I kinda knew the course was off.

Ran hard the last mile but ended up running out of gas just after I passed the CRUD guys. I tried my best to hang on to second place but the guy behind me just had much more speed over the last quarter mile than I did. Doubt I could have beaten him even if I was fresh.

Finished in third place, 19:10. Then I ran home and got a shower, took a nap, and returned in time to see Brandon finish in 20:50-ish. Didn't know the clocks went up that high...

I was horrified at the 19:10, but everyone with a GPS I talked to said the course was 3.2 miles. So my 5K time was probably somewhere near 18:40.

See Brandon's blog for a report on King's Chef and the Incline.

3 comments:

GZ said...

So the race is on to see who gets the A qual first.

Brandon Fuller said...

Note that the guy that passed him was dressed as Santa.

katie said...

i believe it was actually mrs clause. he had lots of cotton balls glued to his panties and tank top.