Wednesday, December 09, 2009

books

Finally finished reading this book. Bet it took me most of 2009. Awesome read, but I would always finish a few chapters and then get busy with life and forget about it.

Wanna read ten books in 2010. Here's what's on my list so far:

-Stones Into Schools (the sequel to Three Cups of Tea)
-Where Men Win Glory (yeah, I'm a big Krakauer fan)
-The Last Season (my sister sent me this book a while ago, looks pretty good)
-The Greatest: the Haile Gebrselassie Story
-Running With The Buffaloes (if I read it quick enough I can gank it from the CRC bookshelf and return it before anyone knows it's missing)
-Endurance (got this for $2 when I still lived in Austin, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet)
-Again to Carthage (sequel to Once a Runner)
-Atlas Shrugged (just kidding, no way I'll ever read more than the first two pages of that)

Any other suggestions?

15 comments:

waldo said...

Skeletons on the Zahara! Skeletons on the Zahara!

Jeff Farrell said...

The Sea Wolf by Jack London

Carie said...

"What's your poop telling you?"

Mike said...

Penthouse Letters XXV!!! That was definitely the best one.

Jeremy said...

you can my copy of where men win glory when I get it back.

Jes said...

Haven't read it myself, but I heard where men win glory is krakauer's worst book.

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami is pretty good.

And seriously, 10 books in a year? I've worked with special ed kids who read more than that.

brownie said...

10 books would be my reading PR by about 8 books. Tell your retard kids to run 3000 miles in a year and I'll be impressed.

BLOS said...

"One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" by Dr. Seuss.

DrSlowRide said...

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace is endlessly entertaining, but a bit long:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Jest

This is the one I've been reading on the bus ride to work lately:

McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery In Ireland by Pete McCarthy

He has a rule of travel that you should never pass a pub with your name on it and the book is dedicated to trying to hit every McCarthy's in Ireland. Very fun read.

Mike said...

I have a similar rule to Mr. McCarthy.

-Michael Saloon Tavern, member of Texas Bar

Moogy said...

After about 7 years I think that I made it to page 317 of Atlas Shrugged.

brownie said...

Moogy, I've added the sequel to Once a Runner!

Doc, that's a great rule! I'm going to change my name to O'Mally and move to Ireland...

Atlas Shrugged taught me one of the greatest lessons of life. If you want to get a gal into the sack, it's a lot easier to get her drunk than it is to impress her.

Nick said...

Once An Eagle.

My favorite novel, EVER.

You might appreciate it.

It was written by Anton Meyer.

DrSlowRide said...

Yup, been looking for an excuse to go to Kansas, and this is the only one I can come up with:

http://www.slowrideroadhouse.com/

Yeti said...

I second skeletons...those men saw the true face of suffering!