Sunday, December 06, 2009

Rock Canyon half marathon

Kinda blah about the run. Really thought I had a chance at a PR. Had visions of a 1:25 in my mind. And the race started perfectly. 6:30 at mile one. 12:56 through two miles. Five miles at 32 flat. But for some reason I couldn't find that extra gear. I wanted the PR bad, but I couldn't get my legs to play along. Still on PR pace through mile 8, but I could tell it was slipping away. Between miles 8 and 11.5 I slowed up greatly. Allowed two runners to pass me and leave me in the dust. Hit ten miles in 67:30-ish. Around mile 10.5 a runner in stars & stripes parachute pants and no shirt (it was cold down in Pueblo yesterday) interrupted my pity party and I decided to have some pride and hold the guy off. I did (guess I broke him with my surge, as I beat him by 43 seconds), and even made up a lot of ground on the two guys who passed me earlier. Finished in 1:27:31.

I consider it a crappy run, as I never really got warmed up and just wasn't into it mentally. That being said, I must be slowly getting into shape as despite the lousy day I believe this was my second fastest half marathon. Look for my PR to fall at Platte River later in 2010.

Results are here. Incredible job by Justin, who basically ran a solo 1:09 on a slow course. O'Day also had a PR, his first time under 1:20.

I would also like to point out that my time was faster than Fast Eddy's recent 1:27:47. Rock Canyon was supposed to be a head to head match up but someone couldn't find the cojones to show up...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup, sorry 'bout that. You win. I guess now it's straight up at Hard Rock?

MW said...

sounds like someone needs to put up a "cojonesless" twelve pack.

congrats, JT. It's always interesting and funny to see what relights the fire in us to kick up the pace. However, in this case, I'm kinda sad you didn't get beat by "Hammertime in the USA".

GZ said...

This almost could have been my post for my 5k yesterday. There are some days where ya just don't have it.

brownie said...

Eddy, you're penalized an hour for being a panzee, so now it's +7.

Wiley, Hammertime reminds me of another Fast Eddy story, when he told me "I gave it everything I had, and I still lost to a guy who ran the race while juggling." Speaking of the weirdness of Bolder Boulder, anyone know what kind of times the gorilla runs?

GZ said...

I think Mock ran a 38-39 as the gorilla.

Justin Mock said...

Yeah 39:56 I think for me in the gorilla suit at BB10K in 08. First mile was like 5:43.

I saw that some regional elite guy ran like 5:30s in a pink gorilla suit at Bay to Breakers 12K in SF this year.

brownie said...

Sweet, now I have a new goal for BB - beat the Gorilla!