Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Grand Canyon

Had a fantastic time!

Completed the run in 12:44. A good chunk of that was due to me standing around either gawking at the scenery or BSing with hikers/rangers/mule riders. Some of it was due to the climbs, which were a bit harder than I expected. And even more of it was due to the crappy weather (lots of rain down low and snow up high) and muddy conditions.

I will work on a detailed report and get it out ASAP. For those running the Canyon soon, all water after Phantom Ranch except at the Roaring Springs Ranger Station (that may be the incorrect name - it's the house below the huge waterfall just before you start the steep climb up to the North Rim) is currently off, including the North Rim.

Took a ton of pictures, but after seeing the Canyon in person I can say that no picture I've ever seen of the place does it justice. You gotta see it for yourself.

I'll be doing this next year the last weekend of April (to get warmer weather and to make the most of the National Parks Pass I got). South Kaibab, out and back on North Kaibab, then back up Bright Angel ending at the Bright Angel lodge!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job! I'm heading in May 8th. I might just have to hook up with you for next year's run.

MW said...

I hope you're recovered in time from the Boston Marathon, or are you bailing on that plan?
(April 19, 2010)

brownie said...

Oh, I'll be in Boston, that's for sure!

Doc Savage said...

Way cool. I agree not matter how good a pic you get it never compares to in person.

Jes said...

Nice work! The Grand Canyon is my favorite place in the world.

You should use your parks pass to do some climbing at Joshua Tree!!