Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Jersey Marathon

Rest day today.  Been wondering when to take a day off, worried that Ryan might actually be right for once when telling me Friday is National Run To Work Day.  Jacked up my ankle on my Friday long run and was still feeling it a bit this morning, so I made the safe choice.

Been wanting to go back to Pennsylvania for a visit to the folks, and noticed that one of the few long weekends I have left coincides with the New Jersey Marathon.  So I'll probably knock that one off the 50 states list in May.  The course goes through Ashbury Park, so I'm guessing I just might hear "Born To Run" while I'm there.  Nothing like a hard road marathon to leave me feeling fresh for the Quad Rock 50.  Hope to also bag the highpoints of Delaware and New Jersey while I'm back east.  Go ahead and make fun of Delaware, but the Jersey HP can include a long run on the Appalachian Trail.


Don't worry, I'll visit a lot of shitty eastern PA dive bars while I'm there.  And even the brewery.

8 comments:

Rob Timko said...

These days you'll have a better chance hearing Liza minnelli, Cher or Madonna in Asbury Park. (although, still an awesome town). Hit up Asbury Lanes, old school bowling alley. http://www.asburylanes.com/ btw - per the website safety concerns, "Kettle bells are also not permitted.", in case you were thinking about it. Great mexican dive in Long Branch that's worth it too.

Sadly, or awesomely, I think I was conceived in the back of a car in Asbury Park...

brownie said...

Sorry about the poor spelling on your hometown. I'll be sure to drink some beer there. Your dad isn't Bon Jovi, is it?

I used to live just across the Ben Franklin Bridge in Philly, so I'd run over to Camden quite often.

Rob Timko said...

boy, I hate to even type this. I graduated from Bon Jovi's highschool.

No, my mother and father are more the Asbury Park 'biker' type. My father being a lifelong member of the Breed MC. http://rtimko.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Asbury-Knuck-Shoot/7191951_qzsXLt#!i=461806274&k=fJYmq Photoshoot of a bike I built taken in Asbury Park.

Run over to Camden? that's one easy way to learn how to run fast.

Olga said...

That is kind of not bad marathon, along the shore on a boardwalk. Flat as a pancake, kills with monotony though.

brownie said...

I just ran across the bridge to Camden. Then I turned around and came back to PA. No way I was brave (stupid) enough to run through Camden.

nmp said...

If you drive across PA on your trip you should consider stopping by otto's ( http://ottospubandbrewery.com/ ). Good beer although it may be a bit out of the way

brownie said...

State Cowledge is only about 45 minutes away from my parents house. I'm sure I'll get up there to remind my PSU friends about the Sandusky thing, I'll hit Otto's on the way.

slowrunner said...

you should visit canada one day and drink beer, i mean run, with digger! he knows lots of great places ...