Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Part X: Telluride to Chapman Gulch

After taking a dump at Telluride Paul and I leave just after 7AM, 25 hours into the race. We're looking at another huge climb up to Oscar's Pass, just above 13000 feet.

The section begins on another familiar trail. The year before I had run this part in the dark, but Katie and I had hiked it when we were at Blues & Brews last September.

I had grabbed my iPod, changed my shoes (I was now wearing the Sportiva Imogene), and had the knowledge that for once I had not completely acted like a little girl during the night portion of an ultra. And it was increasingly looking like I would not see the sun set again during the race. All this seemed to bring new life to me and I finally got that second wind I had been waiting for.

I tore out of Telluride hiking like a madman. Hiking like I was re-living my days as an infantryman, I started passing lots of runners. I continued this almost all the way up to Oscar's, even passing Kirk, who I would not see again until the finish line.

I say almost, because I almost didn't make it all the way up the mountain. The last hundred feet or so were damn near impossible. Basically straight up, and the wall was covered in mud. It was fun, but it took me FOREVER! It was more rock climbing than hiking. I would dig my fingers into the wall and try not to slip backwards while I was pounding out steps up the face with my feet. Didn't quite match my pace up to Kroger's, but it was close.

I meet Paul at the top and somehow he is clean, where I'm covered in mud. But I'm having a great time and feeling on top of the world. We begin the bomb down to Chapman. I'm forced to find balance between wanting to sprint and needing to be careful not to break an ankle, this was a pretty technical section with tons of loose rocks. I'm running so well I actually pass some runners on the downhill, pretty rare for me.

The hill flattens out and we see some spectators, who tell us it's another half mile to the aid station. I pick up the pace to try to get there before 11AM, but I'm clocked in at 11:01AM.

No comments: