Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Part I: Silverton to Cunningham

"...5...4...3...2...1...get out of here!" Guess it's the same thing every year. I had been working my ass off since the end of October for this, and Hardrock '09 began with RD Dale Garland yelling at me to leave.

The first half mile or so is probably the easiest terrain I'll see all race. Nice jog through the tiny mountain town of Silverton on the dirt roads (I think Silverton only has one paved road, and we pretty much avoid it), with lots of locals out cheering for us runners.

We soon head out of town and the fun begins. Around two miles in we cross our first stream. I have to laugh at myself as I remember the year before when this five inch deep creek had brought me to my knees in near defeat. After the stream we begin the first climb of the day, about four miles straight up to Dives-Little Giant pass just above 13,000 feet. Runners are still grouped together here, and I fall into a gaggle moving slower than I want to, but I play it safe and tag along.

Soon enough we're at the pass. Everyone bombs off down the mountain, but I think it's too early for that kind of effort and hike/jog down the technical descent. Before too long I can see the Cunningham Gulch aid station several thousand feet below. I'm psyched to see CG and I pick up the pace a bit. After a long downhill and another creek crossing I'm already at the first aid station.

I enter Cunningham at 8:29, chug some ensure, eat one of Katie's delicious turkey and cheese bagels, refill my water bottles, and head out at 8:31. 9.2 miles are now behind me. I'm about 20 minutes behind schedule, but I'm feeling terrific and have a feeling that this race is gonna be a much more enjoyable experience than the year before.

No comments: