Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hooray!

The shooting range up on Rampart Range Road has finally been closed! See the gazette article here (wow, I can't wait to read the comments on this one!). I was almost shot there once (bullets came within ten feet of me while running down Williams Canyon) because of the blatant disregard for safety that goes on up there. If you can picture up every single negative stereotype about idiot redneck gun nutballs, those were the kind of people who used the range. I'm glad it's gone and I sure hope it doesn't open back up.

I've said this many times before to anyone who would listen, but my prediction that the place would be closed once someone dies a stupid death up there has come true.

2 comments:

Smut Mutt said...

An unsupervised range on national forest land? What was it, just a area they allowed anyone to blast away?

Note that your article said the NRA inspected it and "recommended that supervision on site was needed immediately", which was ignored.

brownie said...

That's pretty much all it was. A big clearing along a dirt road. It looks as if many, many years ago it may have been a nice range, but litter and lack of safety ruined it. Shame, it sounds like it was the last non-fee place to shoot.

Yeah, you had the NRA and the hippie outdoors folk all bitching on the same side. Maybe there is hope after all...