Thursday, July 23, 2009

it's gotta be the shoes...

Forgot to mention anything about my footwear at Hardrock. Here's what I wore, all purchased from the Colorado Running Company:

Silverton to Cunningham (9.2 miles) - Saucony Progrid Guide TR (same ones I wore at the Austin marathon)

Cunningham to Grouse (32.9 miles) - La Sportiva Fireblade

Grouse to Telluride (30.6 miles) - La Sportiva Wildcat (a tactical error, these shoes shoulda been in my bag at Sherman but I fucked up and packed wrong)

Telluride to Silverton (27.8 miles) - La Sportiva Imogene

Also, I wore my Nathan Elite 2V two water bottle holder (also snagged from the CRC) and tied my brand spankin' new Hardrock Moeben sleeves to it. Two water bottles are not sufficient for Hardrock unless you plan on drinking from streams, which I did often and haven't gotten sick yet.

Socks? At no point for the first 82 miles did I wear a pair of socks that cost more than $1. At Chapman Gulch I splurged and threw on a holy (as in lots of holes, not blessed by God) pair of $5 CRUD socks. So I changed socks six times and the total cost of all my socks was a whopping $10, less than the one pair of Drymax socks we got in our schwag bag.

5 comments:

Jes said...

But were the holy socks touched by His noodly appendage?

I was finishing up my measly 5 miles last night thinking, "I'd kill for a pair of Saucony's right now."

Maybe the CRC could open up a branch in Seoul.

brownie said...

You don't deserve saucony's or the CRC, you traitor treadmiller! You should probably go get some reebok areobics shoes and stick to step class!

Nick said...

Way to bring it back to the old skool. Far too many new fangled gear items these days. Socks are socks.

Anonymous said...

whats the diff between wildcat & fireblade? i was sceptical abt cascadias but they held good for the whole week.

naresh

brownie said...

The wildcats are much more cushioned than the imogene.