Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Leadman

Been pretty lazy since I finished Pikes in August, and it's been nice.  Feeling a bit recharged right now and it's time to get back to work.

As most have heard, Badwater has had some issues this year.  They're running the race on a different course, but I have no urge to do that.  And with a new-ish job (less vacation) and $100 buckling down with school, that kind of travel didn't look like it was going to pan out anyhow.  This will be a good year to stay local.

Hardrock could be in the cards, as I'll probably get in off the wait list, but I've decided to take a break from that race this year.  I'll be back, but it's time to try something new.

On January 1st I'm going to sign up for Leadman.  I've been getting more and more into biking lately, mostly commuting, but I'm going to step things up and tackle both the Silver Rush 50 and the Pb100 MTB.  Should be a great challenge, as right now I really suck on a mountain bike.  But I've been picking the brains of lots of guys here on the Front Range who have finished these races, and I think with some work I can make this happen.  My goal for the series?  Just finish, baby!  Oh, and beat Amanda in the hundred mile run.

I don't know the first thing about training for a bike race, nor do I really want to take the time to learn.  I'll just ride as much as I can between now and mid August.  I'll look to this famous pic for inspiration on how I want to train:



Lined up so far:

March 15 - Salida Marathon
April 19 - Fruita 50 mile run
May 3 - Collegiate Peaks
May 10 - Quad Rock
May 31 - 12 Hours of ERock
June 1 - Elephant Rock 100 mile bike
June 14 - Leadville Marathon
June 21 - San Juan Solstice
July 12 - Silver Rush Bike
July 13 - Silver Rush Run
Aug 9 - Leadville 100 bike
Aug 10 - Leadville 10K
Aug 16 - Leadville 100 run


9 comments:

Local Mind Media said...

Sweet! You'll do well. You're welcome out here to train anytime.

Andy said...

Good luck man! Leadman is probably the most fun thing I have ever done. If I didn't have to do another HR qualifier I would seriously be thinking about it again.

Rob said...

Awesome! Just sad I can't crush you at Hardrock. I am doing that short race in Lake City though. Springs Fat Ass???

brownie said...

Maybe I'll retire forever and continue to brag about going undefeated against you at HR.

Fat Ass is Jan 18. We're working on the map right now.

Donnie said...

YES!!

mike_hinterberg said...

Cool, what bike are you going to ride?
Does the series registration cost more than your bike does (I'm guessing that's not allowed by rule)?

I'm interested in training rides, anything specific on your list? There are a few I'd like to hit up.

brownie said...

I got my Klein in 2005 for a grand. I'm sure it's worth much less today than what it costs to do Leadman. But there's a guy who has finished the MTB 17 times on the same bike, so I can't complain. Compared to him my bike is on the cutting edge of technology.

Lots of rides planned, some of them near Golden. I'll call you once it's over 60F since that's the only time I ride.

GZ said...

Impressed at the objective. Can't wait to see you doing the bike with the brew and the cigar.

Chris Boyack said...

Way better than Badwater. Can't wait for all of the riding and running adventures in 2014!