Saturday, December 07, 2013

Day 7

 After finishing off a pot of coffee for breakfast and realizing I'd be sitting in front of the interweb all morning watching various ultra happenings, I decided to get the advent beer calendar off the day's to-do list.  Figured the beer would let me know if this was going to be a lucky day or not.  My first non-aluminum foil wrapped mystery.


Pretty good way to start off a Saturday.  Something I'd never spend the money on for myself.


Of course, a special pint glass was in order for the occasion.


But my luck ended pretty early.  Was not selected for Hardrock.  No clue where I'm at on the waitlist but it's no worse than 7th.  I'll probably get in but I think I'm going to take a break this year.  Not sure where this leaves me for 2014.  I'm going to apply for Badwater, but I have a feeling I won't make the cut.  I have a decent resume (five Hardrock finishes and the Rocky Mountain Slam, and I'll play up my time in the desert with the Army to work the vet card) but I heard the powers that be give a lot of weight to fundraising causes.  Which I won't do, because I think it's fucking retarded for me to ask friends and family to shell out cash so I can go out and run.  Currently I'm leaning towards using the extra vacation to do a bike tour with Katie.  Maybe somewhere in/around Moab.  Of course, if things keep going as they have the past four days, I'll be using the entire summer on a couch-to-5k program.

Was watching the twitter coverage of the North Face 50.  Pretty sure it's a requirement out there to yell out an excuse every time you get your pic taken.  My usual reaction of flipping the bird is much cooler.

Update:  I am #6 on the Hardrock waitlist.  Out of 7.

Update #2:  Katie drug my ass out of the house today, so it wasn't a complete sloth day.  One hour of hard climbing at the rock gym, followed by an hour of hot yoga.  I forgot how much hot yoga kicked your ass.

3 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Your sentence with the f-bomb and the un-PC comment towards the mentally handicapped is otherwise a belief I share strongly with you, bravo!
Good luck and have fun in whatever adventures you end up with next summer.

brownie said...

I guess I need to get with the times, no offense to those with intellictual disabilities. I just think the practice is stupid and benefits nobody except those who have jobs in the fundraising arena.

http://youtu.be/T549VoLca_Q

brownie said...

*intellectual

No retard jokes, please!