Tuesday, January 05, 2010

the price is right

Stealing a great idea from Nick and tracking the cost of my running this year. Here's what I got so far:

Rescue Run - $18
Winter Series (4 races) - $40
Boston Marathon - $130
Boston airfare - $300

Counting Boston even though I paid for it last year, and the plane ticket was actually my christmas present from my folks, but I'm curious to see what a year of this hobby costs. Does anyone know if that's the correct price to rego for Beantown?

Not doing too well so far. Spent $488 to run 45.0 miles, or $10.84 a mile. That will go up significantly once I start shelling out the loot for the 2010 ultras. I guess I should go run more to make this sport appear more affordable.

Try to keep it specifically on running expenses. Won't count yoga ($90 a month) or the gym ($25 a month), even though if it weren't for running I wouldn't do those. Also won't count the distance I drive to the Tues/Thurs workouts, since those miles are not significantly farther than driving to work, and I'll recoup those costs by alternative transportation at least 20 times this year. Also won't be counting alcohol, which is a big part of my running but is something I'd be doing regardless.

Doing very well on the shoe front, which my training log at runner's world tracks. I'm currently rotating between two pairs of shoes that have serious mileage on them. My Sportiva Wildcats are currently at 939.8 miles on 'em (picked these up at CRC for 80 bucks, currently running $.09 per mile). The Saucony Progrid Guide Trail, which I bought for the Austin marathon last February, cost me $72 and have 678.7 logged miles ($.11 per mile). I also have one Imogene (one shoe, not one pair) that only has 523.1 miles on it, and when I find the other one I'll start using those for a few hundred more miles. And I still have high hopes for the Nike Pegasus I got on the bargain rack at CRC for $60. They're practically brand new at 278.7 miles.

11 comments:

Nick said...

Theft of intellectual property rights will cost you a couple of beers, so you can stick that one on the list.

brownie said...

I'll negate that cost when I crush* you at Salida!



*crush = lose by less than 26 minutes

Jeremy said...

I want to start doing yoga. Where are you going?

GZ said...

How about you tally beers per mile?

katie said...

the other imogene....try looking in my closet. or under your bed under the dust bunnies.

brownie said...

One Imogene is under my bed and I think the other is in my truck.

Smut Mutt said...

Interesting... It's kinda like how hunters NEVER calculate how much the meat we get costs per pound.

I'll bet you if you keep honest records of your expenses, which includes the miles you drive to/from runs, that the cost per mile will be more than the cost of driving, say 40c/mile. You on for another genius?

brownie said...

No way I'll get it under $.40 per mile, or even the current IRS rate of $.55. If I can get it under a buck I'll be happy. Still a very cheap hobby, however.

I'm currently at $4.04 per mile. Which will go up greatly very soon, as I have Bighorn ($225), Leadville ($250), and Hardrock ($250) to rego for.

Smut Mutt said...

I just guessed at $.40 a mile; I'd still bet you can't keep it under $1/m. I'll even allow $.55/m credit if you run to/from work instead of driving.

Do you include hashes? We typically drive a bunch of miles, pay hashcash, & then only do a 3-4m trail. That'll hurt the average...

brownie said...

OK, I'll take the bet at $.99 per mile or less.

FYI, figuring out expenses for Boston, Bighorn, Leadville, and Hardrock comes out to roughly $1600. I'm on pace to run 3600 miles so far...

I don't count hashes in my mileage so I won't count it for this bet. I do try to bike/bus/carpool to hashes whenever I can. Moreso to avoid DUI's than for any hippie cause.

What is the approx cost of meat that you hunt?

Smut Mutt said...

Cool, this will keep this experiment interesting...

Cheapest hunts I've been on were meat-hog hunts for about $1/pound (on the hoof). Best-case you get 1/3 of that in edible meat. If you add travel, ammo, lodging, tips, equipment, etc, well it really adds up. I killed 2 deer around here this year so they were close to free except for the license, lost/broken arrows, corn, etc I figure $1/lb. Throw in property taxes and it's $100/lb.