Sunday, November 20, 2005

Bluff Creek/Rocky Hill

Yet another fantastic weekend spend on the trails.

Early Saturday morning it was off to Warda for the Cardiac 44 mile run. I was kinda nervous, my previous long run was only about 35 miles, so this was gonna be pushing the envelope. For those that don't know, Warda is Bluff Creek Ranch, less than five miles away (and on the same road) from the place Slut had his campout at. It's mainly a mountain bike ranch, more for beginners than it's cousin down I-71, Rocky Hill Ranch. I have biked out here often and have my Dirty Du PR on the course, so I knew going in what to expect.

Start time was 9AM, weather was perfect. Overcast and mid-60s. We actually did the eleven mile bike course backwards, something I've never done before. Had some issues on the first lap, twisted my left ankle three different times, and twisted my right ankle pretty bad, was worried that was gonna be an issue later in the race. Warda is a fast mountain bike course so I was thinking I'd have a shot at a decent time, but all the twists and turns and rocks and roots kept me from getting into a decent rhythm. I limped through the first lap in 1:45.

Second lap was a lot of the same. I was nursing my right ankle, and this was causing me to trip even more than usual. I was towards the back of the pack here, and panic was slowly starting to set in. In my defense, most of the folks in front of me were either doing 22 miles or doing 11 miles as part of a relay, but I couldn't tell and had to assume they were all doing the long run. Returned to the barn, the start/stop of each lap, in just over three and a half hours. Was feeling better here than after my first lap, but overall I just wasn't feeling "it" and I knew the second half of the race was gonna be tough.

So I begin the slog out to the third lap. I actually get a second wind here and begin to push the pace a little more. Pass a few people here, pass a few people there. I start to think I still may have a chance at breaking seven hours, an unrealistic goal I had going into the race. Looking back at my splits now, even though I thought I was picking it up, I wasn't. That third lap I just managed to slow down less than everyone I passed. And with about four miles to go on that third lap, things started to fall apart. Cramps came, the legs got heavy, a 33 mile run started to sound like a great idea. I plodded into the barn in fifth place.

These drastic times called for drastic measures. And of course, when the going gets tough, the tough...do jager bombs! Yes, I had a secret weapon waiting for me in the barn, a hidden stash of red bull and jager. Took an empty paper cup from the aid station and made myself a strong drink. There were quite a few people in the barn at this time, and they couldn't believe their eyes when I pulled out a 2 liter bottle of jager. So after wasting a couple 'o minutes hitting on ugly, fat chicks, I stumbled out the barn and began my last lap.

Another secret weapon I had was Melissa. After winning the 22 mile portion of the race, she waited around and went out for that last lap with me. I cannot thank her enough, I still would have finished without her but my time would have been A LOT slower without her out there pushing me. FYI, she is neither ugly nor fat.

Last loop was uneventful save for the physical punishment my body was going through. Received a small mental boost at the first aid station, at 36 miles, knowing it was a new personal record for distance. Same thing at the next aid station, my first 40 miler. From there it was just putting one foot in front of the other without tripping on a root or rock (easier said than done after seven hours of running). And before I knew it, it was over. Final time was 7:39:46, good for third place overall. Yeah, only seven finished, but that's a testiment to the very few who had the balls to go the distance! Not sure how many started and dropped out, but quite a few took the 33 mile option.

Good day for some of my buddies though. The winner, Mark Henderson, threw up several times but still managed to kick ass, his usual SOP. Of course Melissa won again, congrats. The winner of the men's 22 mile run, Frank Ceresa, had dueled with me a few weeks ago at Rocky Raccoon, good to see him run well. And kudos to Geraldo Ramierez, who was kicking my ass for three laps, then blew out a knee. Despite the extreme pain, he struggled through the final lap to finish the race. Of course I've gotta say congrats to fellow Roguers TJ and Alan for tough finishes as well.

After the race it was off to enjoy the fine camping at Bluff Creek. And, of course, the fine cheeseburgers! Drank a bunch of beers around a fire with Melissa and team "two goose'n waters" who had won the relay 22 mile race earlier that day.

No rest for the weary. After a quick nap in Ruby, Melissa and I were off to Rocky Hill ranch, for the second of back-to-back long runs. Rocky Hill is a bit more difficult terrain than Warda, so I wasn't looking forward to this run. Especially the first two miles, as I was still sore as hell and would have to face my nemesis, Fat Chuck.

Well, Fat Chuck won once again, but shortly thereafter I got into a groove and started running somewhat well. Saw all the old trails. Karaway, easy pickens, off the lip, frontal lobotmy, bottle-in-front-o-me, longhorn loop, and tris cross. After planning for a two hour run, Melissa and I found ourselves over two hours into it at this point, and still had several miles to go to get back to the saloon. So regretfully I didn't get to do my favorite section of Rocky Hill, including Omar's Howl and the Tunnel o' Pines. Bummer. But I did get her to agree to cut across the powerline on the way back, so I could have one more crack at Fat Chuck. He won again. But that's OK, I'm gonna kick his ass at the next Dirty Du!

After the run, 2:39:15 total, it was, or course, immediately over to the Saloon. Rocky Hill burgers...mmmmm...and Shiner. Very yummy, and very much deserved.

Ended up covering 100 kilometers over two days. Needless to say, I'm sore and will have trouble walking for a few days. Hope to recover in time for the Turkey Trot!

17 comments:

Barbara said...

Bionic Brownie strikes again...

Rafael said...

Dude, wowzers

PlaysByEar said...

For you marathoners out there that think you might be crazy... now you know there are still people crazier than you

Gagger said...

And I was excited that I made it through my 1st half marathon earlier this year! Damn, Brownie...are you a machine?

Barbara said...

Shhhhh do you hear that?...It's the sound of Brownies head inflating...

brownie said...

Like my head could possibly get any bigger.

Denial Queen said...

I think it just did!

Barbara said...

It's sad because it's true.

Rafael said...

Fat and ugly chicks... you know what they say about fat chicks and mopeds... they're both fun to ride until your friends see you on one.

dayoldfish said...

it is very true, Melissa is neither fat nor ugly. I cannot figure out what is wrong with her, there has to be, she hangs out with JT too much.

dayoldfish said...

SMB is going to kick your ass at the Turkey Trot.

brownie said...

Fish, would you like to bet a case of beer on that one?

Denial Queen said...

hmmmm..Last time Brownie was beaten by a girl she was 15 years-old. Would be touching to see if it could happen again.

Gagger said...

Too bad I'm going to miss that. It's gonna take me twice as long to get to the finish line. Save me some alcohol!

Rafael said...

There are several convenience stores along the way, Sparks makes for a great refreshing beverage on trail. If you can call it trail.

dayoldfish said...

Sparks, that's how I finished KAW, brown bagging a can of Sparks, good times

Denial Queen said...

Sparks?!?!?! What about pure adrenaline?