Tuesday, January 01, 2019

2019

Even though I'm going to drop what feels like several paychecks on Jan 1st to sign up for the Pikes double, I'm going to keep the race schedule super light this year.

One of my favorite outdoor writers, Greg Heil, often talks about adventure vs. fitness.  I thought about that a lot after our hike and before JFK.  I would have loved to have done more mountain treks, either hiking or biking, but instead I was doing a lot of running on the Santa Fe trail.  It was during those boring miles that I decided not to sign up for much in '19.  The plan is to use the time to make some progress on my 14er list, mountain bike more often, and continue learning to climb outside.

That does not mean I won't be racing.  Right now I am excited about the shorter stuff, and I can see myself jumping into a lot of our local races.  There will of course be my annual hungover 4:59 at Salida.  I can also envision finding another state for a marathon later in the year.  Or not.  But nothing is on the calendar other than Pikes and Creede.  And both of those are races I feel I can do without specific training.

We will also be taking a solid road trip during the week between Pikes and Creede.  Headed west.  A hike of Kings Peak, the highpoint of Utah, is on the docket.  Not sure what else we'll do.  Wyoming?  Idaho?  Arizona?  Who knows.  We have until late August to figure it out.

And on the drinking front, I'm going to take a year and gain access to the varsity club at Murphy's.  One shot of every bottle they sell.  Unfortunately it's looking more and more like Murphy's won't be there in a few years, so it's time to pull this off.

2 comments:

GZ said...

This is already starting to sound like a concession speech.

Wyatt Hornsby said...

Seems like all the cool kids are doing Pikes this year. Maybe I should, too?