Tuesday, September 25, 2018

royal 50

Went down to Canon City for FAR's Royal 50 mountain bike race on Saturday.  I rode about as hard as I could and feel like I had a good ride, but looking at the standings I finished 35th out of 38, including two women I passed in the last ten miles or so (one of whom I had to go all out on the last climb to hold off).  Finished in 6:42, well under the cutoff of eight hours.  With any running race I can just show up and there are guaranteed to be a ton of slow people, but that's not the case with a MTB race.  Or maybe that is the case, and I'm just one of the slow people.

Relive 'Morning Ride'


       
And the section back to the Canon pubs, including Skyline Drive, which I rode to get in 100k:

Relive 'Afternoon Ride'


       
After the race we ($100 and some Austin friends of mine) toured some of the finer pubs of Canon.  My Brothers Place, Lala's, McClure's.  We stayed the night down there, and on Sunday morning I took the dog for a 5K hike along the riverwalk.  Such a great town.  Looking forward to getting back to Canon more often now that the weather is cooling off a bit.

2 comments:

Bob Johnson said...

About 40 percent of the field were Masters (if that's a term in these types of events). I would t have guessed that.

Bob Johnson said...

Meant to say I "wouldn't" have guessed that.