Sunday, April 20, 2014

beer #109


Footburner IPA from Shamrock Brewing in downtown Pueblo.  My last stop in what was an eventful day visiting the armpit of Colorado.

First up was the Spank Blasing 10K.  Almost bailed on this just to get a longer ride in but I'm glad I went.  Was hoping for a sub 40, but the course was a bit harder than I expcted.  Big hill from mile one to two and again from about 3.7 to 5 slowed my pace enough and I ended up in 40:13.  Gave it everything I could, though, both in the race and in trying to bribe Simon and/or Luke in listing me at 39:59.  Pretty excited about the effort, which was hard from the get go.  Not long ago at the winter series I'd bust out the first mile in 7:30, then decide things were mildly uncomfortable and back way off.  I let myself get pretty out of shape over the winter but it seems things are finally starting to come back around.

Quite a few guys from the front range made the trip down, good to see everyone.  Even got to hang with the most electrifying man in masters running:


After a few beers it was over to Lake Pueblo State Park for some riding.  Love the trails there.  I was beat from the 10K but I hammered the bike pretty hard, averaging over 10 mph for a 32 miler.  It was 86F when I finished the ride around 3PM.  Even with the great weather I didn't see very many folks out there.  If you live and ride on the front range, taking a trip to this state park is definitely worth it.

Worth it even more since you get to hit up Bingo Burger on the way home.


Notice there are actually some vegetables on the burger.  Upping the seriousness of  Leadman training by improving my diet.

Great race, awesome ride, lots of beers.  What more could anyone ask for from a Pueblo trip?  Oh, maybe a mascot pic?  How's about two of them, bitches!


3 comments:

mike_hinterberg said...

Lake Pueblo wasn't even on my radar -- it looks pretty fun. What kind of loop did you do? The speed suggests more of the fast/less-technical trail (my preference) but I couldn't find your Strava.

trailbitch said...

Always entertaining, JT.

trailbitch said...

Always entertaining, JT.