Friday, December 14, 2012

bike to work

$100 gave me the green light to drop some serious coin on a new bike if I can ride once a week to work in 2013.  Right now I'd go with a Surly, either the Long Haul Trucker or the Ogre.  But that will probably change as I put more thought into it.  And $1200 isn't really considered serious coin in the bike world, I'd still be treated as a welfare recipient among the cyclists on the Front Range.  Which is reason #2 that bike riding will never be as cool as running (reason #1 is the whole spandex thing).

There's a weird clicking noise I get when I pedal.  It comes and goes.  When it comes, I just stop peddling for half a second, and when I start again it has gone away.  No idea what this is.  It seems to be coming from the crank area.  Any thoughts as to what it might be?

My professional triathlete neighbor took a look at my mountain bike and told me the rear derailler is broke.  This throws a wrench into my plans for a possible attempt at the Steamboat Stinger double.

Anywho, I did bike to work today.  Even at a somewhat warm 30F, I thought my toes were going to freeze.

5 comments:

Matt said...

I'd go with the long haul trucker. Also, check out the surly troll.

Andy said...

Go for the moonlander!

Digger said...

You might like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vn29DvMITu4#!

mike_hinterberg said...

Check if everything's tight on your pedals and cranks.
Do the pedals slip?
Could be the bearings in your bottom bracket slipping.
If you were to replace them anyway and eventually, I think you can ignore it for a bit and see if it gets worse (I'm not always good advice on that stuff as I ignore things a lot).
Does the frame flex at all? That can cause the chain to skip on the rear cog a bit and it might sound/feel like it's in the front.
Most easily and dumbly: does the end of any cables stick out and hit your pedals?

Otherwise, screw it, buy a new bike!

mike_hinterberg said...

Those are both great bikes.
Spandex aside, that's still expensive-per-mile for 500 miles/year, so what else do you wanna do with your bike: more road or mountain?

Rode with a guy yesterday who's LHT held up really well on roads, hard-packed dirt, and packed snow. That would be a good one for also riding on the road on that busy road you're always complaining about that's one block from the bike trail in the Springs.
The Ogre would be nice to hit some rockier trail, if you were thinking of doing any mt. biking. I like how the new one is a 29er so it would still be decent for commuting or touring with slicks.

I'd rather have both of those bikes than one $3k bike.

Get one soon so you can ride Pikes, I'm gonna try to head down next month if it looks like there's a sunny, clear day.