Friday, August 10, 2012

numbers

Article in the September issue of Outside on Bahram Akradi, the dude who runs Lifetime Fitness.  (Article is on page 26 of the print magazine, I can't find it online).  Talks about Lifetime Fitness buying up a bunch of races, including the Leadman stuff.  Lots opinions, I tend to have a negative view of the whole company based only on Akradi's "finish" of the Leadman a few years ago despite a 30+ hour run.  Though I do think they did a good job on the run the first year they took over when I paced Footfeathers.

Anywho, a stat in the article caught my eye.  Concerning ultra events, "over the past decade, some 317 domestic events attracted roughly 32,000 racers."  Not sure if ultra events refers specifically to running or not, but either way that's not a lot of people.  Folks are always talking about how the sport is blowing up, but to put that number in perspective I've had more than 32,000 runners beat me at Bolder Boulder before.  That averages just over 100 runners per event, about the size of low key 5K races here in the Springs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actual number is prob lower. Given that some runners are repeat offenders.