Wednesday, April 27, 2011

racing into shape

Signed up for the Colfax Marathon today. Always wanted to run that, but for one reason or another I never have. I feel bad that such a cool city is only an hour away but really the only connection I have to Denver is when I drive by it on I-25. Hopefully the marathon lets me explore the town a little bit.

Haven't had the consistency I had last year, mostly due to the PF. So I feel a bit out of shape. That could change soon as here is the schedule for the next couple of weeks:

April 30 - Kohl Elementary 5K
May 7 - Collegiate Peaks (still leaning towards the 25 miler but we'll see...)
May 14 - Sprial Drive 4 miler (Salida)
May 15 - Colfax Marathon
May 21 - Jemez Mountain 50
May 28 - Arkansas River Marathon (Salida)
May 30 - Bolder Boulder 10K
June 4 - Golden Gate 50K
June 12 - Garden 10 miler
June 18 - San Juan Solstice
June 25 - Western States pacing

Won't be making much noise in any of those. I go to a lot of races, but it's pretty rare that I give an actual race effort. I can go all out like I did at NOLA probably two or three times a year. Next A race is the Ascent. May give one last monster effort at a winter road marathon, either Wisconsin Dells or Vegas, but we'll see.

Was originally thinking of going for a PR in the CP 50 miler, but the PF put an end to those thoughts early. Only going out to that one because with all the locals headed over there, the post race shindig at Eddyline will be a blast.

Will probably run the marathons on that list in 3:30ish. Not real hard but considering that when I was training for NOLA I'd do 20 mile road runs in 3:30 at least the pace is a bit faster than usual. Good, well supported tempo runs and a nice chance to check out some Front Range towns/breweries.

8 comments:

Harsha said...

Sounds like a great decision. It will definitely help with the PF healing. Good Luck!

brownie said...

I've reached a point that rest is no longer helping the PF. It's a manageable pain so I'll keep running.

Rob said...

I'm right there with you on the PF. I guess its a "manageable" pain, but it still sucks. I've almost forgotten what it's like to run with no heel pain. I'd probably start breaking course records. I'm trying these out next (heel-that-pain.com). Will let you know the results.

brownie said...

I've used the generic Dr. Schol's version of those, hope yours work better. Did spend some good loot on a strausburg sock, and that was only good to give $100 something to make fun of me about.

Best thing has been to freeze a water bottle and roll the foot over it after a run. Booze helps a lot as well.

It's manageable, but I'm sure glad I'm not staring down a hundred miler. Good luck at Black Hills!

France said...

I’m impressed. I don’t think I’ve met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You’re truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you’ve got here.

MtUnpaved said...

I used a golf ball on my heel twice a day when my PF flaired up. It seemed to really help and I was able to get over it in a couple of months while still running. good luck.

Anonymous said...

you going to be ready for me to drop you at leadville?

Brooks said...

Get the sand out of your vag, embrace the pain, and do the 50. End of conversation.