Monday, November 26, 2007

physical therapy

Went to see the physical therapist today, and I finally got some good news. Told the PT guy about what I'd been doing on my ankle (like finishing Camp Bullis, Warda, the beer mile, and hashing) and he said that all that activity was a good sign, and recovery seemed not only likely, but soon. He told me that the two ligaments that I tore would never heal, so I needed to work on strengthening the muscles in my ankle, since they will take over the brunt of the stability work now the ligaments are gone. The old guys at the YMCA will be glad to hear that my side to side movement will be shaky for a long time, so no more domination of the hoops league, but running will be fine. So he gave me a few exercises to do, and agreed with my plan of not running anymore this year. So of course I came right home and rego'd for the Rescue Run 10K on new year's day!

4 comments:

Free Bus(c)h said...

Welcome to the world of no ligaments in the ankle...now you just nee dto start softball to go along with your running!!!

Jes said...

Glad you got some good news! I talked to mom the other day and she made it sound much worse.

JohnF said...

I tore a couple ligaments a couple of years ago. After a bunch of PT strength exercises, 1 month of no running and 2 more months staying off hills and rough surfaces during runs, I was able to get back into it. (read more about this inspirational comback story Here)

On the plus side, once you get your ankle strength back then there will be less risk of injury since there is not much left to tear.

meredith said...

does this mean Bandera is on the list...January, right?