Monday, October 22, 2007

Texas run #27 - Combat Medic 10K

Switched gears last Saturday for the Combat Medic 10K. Wasn't expecting much as I figured I had long ago lost any leg speed I ever had once I swithed over to trail running. Ran strong throughout the race, pushing hard but keeping an even pace. Still, I was heartbroken when I turned the corner and unleashed a furious sprint, holding off the first female finisher (who would lose the sprint but jump ahead of me in the standings due to her chip time) but seeing the clock ticking towards 45 minutes. Was bummed that despite the great effort on my part I thought I was unable to keep anywhere near a seven minute mile anymore. To my relief, later on at the awards ceremony I fould out the clock was off, and my chip time was 37:57! A much more respectable 6:07 per mile! Ended up in 6th place overall, 5th male finisher, and first in my age group. 150 finishers. Not too shabby. The course isn't the most difficult thing I've ever done, but it's certainly not considered a fast course. Results are here.

Got some good results when I plugged the time into the runner's world predictor. Gives my five mile guess at 30:10. Would sure be nice to sneak under half an hour at the turkey trot, though I'm sure my pre-holiday drinking binge won't allow for that. Also predicts a 2:54:33 marathon, which would be a PR for me, as well as a Boston qualifier...

Time - 37:57.9
Distance - 6.2 miles
Challenge - 333.2 miles
Distance behind Lulu - 95.6 miles

No comments: