Saturday, September 23, 2006

winter workout #1

Bailed from work a bit early yesterday and headed over to the Incline. Was raining pretty steady at the bottom, but it was obvious the rain was gonna turn to snow shortly after I started climbing.

Sure enough, about halfway up the Incline the snow came. Wasn't laying on the ground yet, but it was covering the plants pretty good.

Made it up the Incline in 36 minutes, not too bad since I hadn't done it in a while. Was feeling pretty decent, so I decided to go play in the snow a bit more with a trek up Rocky Mountain. Continued up the Barr Trail to No Name Creek (which is the pic at the top for those familiar with the trail) and then began the bushwack up to the peak.

Had a great time! Lots of snow at this elevation. I was soaken wet very quickly, but luckily it wasn't windy so I was able to keep warm.

Rocky Mountain isn't a difficult climb, but the last 15 feet or so are somewhat technical. Especially when covered with snow. As I was hugging a rock I wondered, "if I were to fall and bash my skull or break a leg, I wonder how long it would be before someone came along and found me." Luckily I didn't have to find out.

Total time to the peak of Rocky Mountain was just over 80 minutes. Total round trip was a little over two hours.

Took a few pics, they can be seen here.

The view of Pikes Peak from Rocky Mountain can be seen here.

No comments: