Sunday, December 11, 2005

Sunmart!

Once again, off to Huntsville State Park for another ultra run. Had done two races here already, my first 50K (Hog's Hunt) and my PR 50K (Rocky Raccoon), but Sunmart was going to be a test on another level.

Rented a shelter from the park, and good luck gave Dan and I a campsite less than 100 meters from the start of the race. We actually set up tents inside of the shelter, so despite the low temps we were able to keep somewhat warm and grab a decent nights sleep on Friday.

Up at 5AM Sat morning, well before my alarm was set to go off due to nervous energy. Race didn't start 'till 7AM. Oh well, gave me plenty of time go grab a good caffeine buzz. Went over to help the Hill Country Trail Runners set up their site. Set up four large carport-tents, the club was gonna have a ton of people there.

Stood around for another hour drinking coffee, shooting the shit with all the other runners. Was trying to eat, but my appetite just wasn't there. I knew this was gonna cause problems later on, gotta get those calories in for these long runs.

7AM, immediately after the Star Spangled Banner, the race began. I tried not to think of how far I had to go, just wanted to take it one lap at a time. Race was four 12.5 mile laps.

First lap was fine. Huntsville State Park is beautiful and I love the trails, but they're not overly challenging. No hills, nothing too technical. As long as you don't trip over a root or get eaten by an alligator you're fine. I setteled into a comfortable pace with my friend Meredith, and we talked about just about everything. She recently got into Western States and is also part of the upcoming Austin Zane Grey adventure, so good on her. The pace was comfortable, and we hit the halfway aid station in just under an hour. Actually had a lot of fun that first lap, and we finished up in around 1:58. Perfect.

Made a quick pit stop at the HCTR tent. Refilled water bottles, pounded a Red Bull. Again, I tried to eat, but I was feeling a bit nauseous and was afraid I'd puke. I knew this was bad, but I was afraid of dehydration if I threw up so I continued on without food.

Meredith had gone out of the tent ahead of me, so I began the second lap alone. Didn't last long, as Sunmart is one of the biggest ultra events in the world (actually, "one of the biggest ultra events in the entire universe as far as we know," as my drunken Rogue pal Dan had told me a few nights earlier). Well over 200 people had signed up for the 50 miler. To put that in perspective, less than 10 people had signed up for the 44 miler at Warda a few weeks ago.

Anyways, I soon ran into old friends and made new ones. Everyone is super friendly out on the trails, at least for the first half of the race. Some of us get kinda grumpy after that.

I continue on. There's a shitty out and back jeep road portion of the course, which I hate but it is nice to see everyone. Meredith is running strong and is well ahead of me. On the return I see Kelly, Mark, Shan, Joe, TJ, Mike, all folks I've done significant miles with getting ready for this. Good to see them all running strong.

My future doom is increased as I blow through three straight aid stations without eating. I'm not feeling horrible but not feeling as good as I could either. I pass 1.5 loops in three hours, on a good pace but I can tell things are going to get tough.

About 1.75 loops in, we meet up with the 50Kers. Almost 500 are rego'd for this race, so things get a bit tight on the singletrack for a little. We go over my favorite part of the course, a long wooden plank-like bridge that hovers you just inches over a swamp. I know Choo Choo, from the Houston hash, is in the 50K, and I look for him to push him into the swamp. I also watch my back, 'cuz I know he'd do the same to me.

Blow through another aid station and hit the halfway point in 3:58. At the HCTR tent, I finally force some food down. A pickle, half a clif bar, and another can of Red Bull. I realize a crash is coming soon, and I decide to push the third lap to get as far along in the race as I can before I hit the wall.

I tear out of the tent. Still running strong, I do try to grab food at the aid stations to delay the inevitable. Fig newtons, gummy bears, bananas, pb&j, even cheetos. Taking salt tabs and migrane strength excedrin every hour. But I could feel my energy starting to sap away.

About 50K into the race I crashed. I kept running, though my pace was probably more like a fast walk. I just had nothing left. Started to get cramps in my legs, which I've had issues with before. Started tripping on roots due to not lifting my feet as much. It was a damp, chilly day, and I started to shiver. Still had six miles to go to be able to change, and almost 20 to go in the race, and I began to wonder if I could make it. It was weird, how quickly I went from good to bad.

Struggled it out to the tent. Got a minor boost from passing Pam Reed during my slog, a very accomplished ultrarunner who was obviously not having a good day (she would soon drop out). I also got to run a bit with Choo Choo, it was good to catch up with the H4. He was running strong in the 50K, and soon left me behind.

I hit the end of three laps in 6:10. I probably did the first half of the third lap 20 minutes faster than the second half. 37.5 miles down, 12.5 to go. I look like death in the tent. Several people would tell me later on that they thought I was going to drop out. Even Janice, who I have never heard say anything negative let alone swear, said, "jt, you really looked like shit out there." Thanks for all the support, guys!

I crashed into a chair by my cooler. Another Red Bull. Another half of a clif bar. I knew if I ate much more I'd puke on myself right there. This was about the worst I've ever felt physically. Upset stomach, shivering cold, cramping legs. I really thought about dropping out. Which meant, of course, it was time to break out the liquid courage.

I did a shot of jager at Warda more as a joke. Nobody thought I'd really do it. I would have finished regardless, I had a much better day out there. Here it was really up in the air. I took a huge swig from the bottle, probably two or three shots. And after giving the booze a few seconds to seep into my bloodstream, I immediately thought, "if I can just tough out this final lap in less than five hours, I can qualify for the Western States lottery."

I arise from my chair and head out. In my jager induced charge I decide to leave behind my water belt and just hand carry a bottle. Which is fine, except I now have no salt or excedrin.

I run just 'till the folks at the tent can't see me, and start walking. I start doing what was probably four minutes running/two minutes walking. I notice that what was a pancake flat course earlier this morning now has great Bandera-like hills. I'm on my run/walk struggle and I hit my least favorite part of the course, the out and back jeep road. Last time of the day. But this section just beats me down. I end up walking damn near the entire thing. I fake jog when I see Meredith and Shan coming by, don't want to look like a huge wus, but I bet I walked 90% of that two mile stretch.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the jeep road turns back into singletrack. I'm now stopping at every aid station, thanking the volunteers, telling them I'm having a really weird craving for doritos. Believe it or not, all the stations had some! Mmmmm...doritos!!!!!

I continue my death march. I'm almost to the halfway point of the final lap. People I passed over seven hours ago are now passing me, giving me encourgaing words but probably thinking, "damn rookies."

Coming into the halfway point aid station, I tell the volunteers, "I'm very grateful for what you've all done today, but I'm really, really, really glad I won't see you anymore." That's probably what everyone says to them, but they're still cheerful and offer me fresh doritos, gawd I love aid station volunteers!

I hang out for a while, and one of the volunteers says to me, "you're basically finished, it's more of a pain in the ass to drop out now than it is to just finish." I don't take her hint, so in a few more minutes another worker says, "Lovejoy's, you've been here long enough, move along."

I have to walk down the steep hill leaving the aid station, but the thought that I'm almost finished must release some adrenaline. After feeling like death for the better part of three hours, things start to improve. I start to skip my walking breaks. I actually pass a few people. I grow stronger with every step, knowing I'm getting a little closer to the finish and my cooler full of St. Arnold's. I'm actually sad going over the plank bridge for the final time, knowing it's gonna be a while 'till I cross it again. I probably would have cried had I not been so severely dehydrated.

Soon after the bridge I hit the eight hour mark. I think to myself, "self, that's an entire days work you just ran, and you're not finished yet."

Hit the final aid station of the day. Slam a few gatorades, thank the volunteers, and I'm off. Three miles to go. I'm actually doing quite well now, considering I've covered 47 miles of trail.

I'm able to run almost the entire final three miles, even pass a few more runners.

The final 200 meters of the course is a straight away lined with people. It's great, after having put forth such a monumental physical effort, to hear the roar of the crowd. Of course, as I'm stumbling in, I hear "Brownie is a wanker!" Roller Balls was the culprit this time, he was there cheering on Choo Choo but couldn't waste such a golden opportunity to rag me so he waited around.

The finish was somewhat anti-climactic, I was just so friggin' happy to finally be done that I didn't care about joining the 50 miler club. Finished in 8:47:22. My second half was almost an hour slower than my first half.

Things started looking up soon after I finished. Got to get my Sunmart blanket, now I don't have to be so jealous of my roommate who has one (I think he has two, I'll hafta go back next year). Even got a very pleasant surprise, as despite my horrible second half I still managed to grab third place in my age group and received a kick ass horse trophy for my efforts!

But the best part was in the HCTR tent afterwards, telling war stories with those who had already finished, and cheering on those who were just finishing their race. Drinking lots of beer the entire time! Both the club and the Rogue group had fantastic days!

Congrats to all who finished! TJ, Dan, Joe, Joyce, Gabe, Kelly, Meredith, Shan, I could go on and on and on. Thanks to Melissa for helping out with everything too, really appreciate that; she even managed to take a few pics. Here they are:

Sunmart

Next up for me is this weekend's Rogue Holiday Trail Tour to Government Canyon and Bandera, followed in early January by the Bandera 100K. Fun, fun, fun!

10 comments:

Barbara said...

I'd comment but I fell asleep reading this damn saga....

Gagger said...

Congrats on fighting through the pain and finishing the race!

dayoldfish said...

your a friggin machine! congrats!

Barbara said...

Damn...I guess I have to be nice....Good job you lazy bastard:)

Rafael said...

You da man homie! I love that someone yelled out “Brownie is a wanker!” I wonder what the non hashing people thought that meant.

brownie said...

You think this one is long, just wait 'till my Bandera entry.

Yager is a road in north Austin. Jager is a delicious drink that makes me take home fat chicks. Once again, an anonymous poster to my blog is tagged as an idiot!

Barbara said...

Brownie....you certainly bring them out of the wood works.

Chlamydia said...

Brownie, great run story there. You're still a wanker though (and a five jump chump I might add).

SMB said...

Wow-that was better than 'Desperate Housewives'.

dayoldfish said...

SMB has become ... "one of us. one of us."