Saturday, December 17, 2005

Camping

From Gov't Canyon it was off to Bandera to set up camp. I love when camping is part of a trail running weekend, it just seems to add more to the experience. A lot of my buddies get hotel rooms during these weekends, but I would never consider that.

Of course, you should have asked me my opinion about hotels around 2AM, when I was freezing my ass off in my tent! But anyways...

I arrived and set up camp just in time, as the campfire was just getting hot. Steve, Carrie, Corey, Dano, and I just chilled around the fire, shooting the shit. Steve whipped up some spaghetti, and of course I had brought some yummy PBR. We sat around the fire for several hours, talking about anything and everything. Alternative training methods, pot brownies, the Runtex forum, the Dirty Sanchez, garage sales, I think we covered just about everything in our bullshit session. It was warm around the fire, but we were all afraid to leave since we knew how cold it was over at the tents.

The coldest (non-military, anyways) I've ever been was out at Bandera, the night before the 25K last January. I had someone with me that night, and I wasn't sure I was gonna make it. This weekend was a close second. Damn, it was cold. My sleeping bag is rated down to -4F, which must mean it will keep you alive but certainly not comfortable. I was so cold I couldn't fall asleep. Decided that I'm definitely borrowing Ann's van for the 100K!

Eventually, the night passed and it was soon time to get up. Packed up camp and drove over the the equestrian area to begin the run.

No comments: