Monday, June 04, 2018

18:39

The bad news - not a great race for me at the track 5k on Friday night.  Truth be told I thought I could go sub 18 again.  But after three laps I found myself alone.  The four man pack in front of me was a bit too fast, the pack behind me was a bit too slow.  So I ran the next five laps solo, and struggled.  Good, hard effort, but the results just weren't to be had.  Seemed like a slow night as everyone was mildly disappointed with their times.

The good news - I am at a point where 18:39 is a disappointment for me.

Still had a blast getting back on the track.  Really hope we can get more of this kind of stuff in our town.  I jumped into this groups two mile run a while ago and I got crushed, finishing way back in last place in 11:50.  And while it was great to not finish in last place, I was happy to see more "slower" runners jumping in and giving this a go.  The track can be an intimidating place for folks.  There was a slow heat, where the winning time was around 19 flat, then my heat, where I finished in the middle of the pack but didn't get lapped.  Then there was a fast heat, with two guys sprinting to the finish around 15:30 and the last guy running around 18:30.

I will miss the next race in the series, the mile, but will definitely be there for the cross-country 8k.


No comments: