Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Leadville

After finishing Collegiate Peaks we headed up to pay a visit to Leadville.

One of the dog's favorite places in the world is the frisbee golf/fitness course behind Colorado Mountain College.  She goes apeshit up there, especially if there's snow.  Even after hiking for four plus hours with $100 while I was running, she got to this area and wouldn't stop.


I've kind of gotten over the whole Leadville thing.  Used to love going there, but the locals just treat anyone who wasn't born and raised there like shit.  I get it that the ultra distance crowd, both bikers and runners, have basically become the same kind of people as the triathlete crowd and thus highly unlikable.  But I'm a guy who has spent considerable time in places such as the Manhattan and the Scarlet.  I can have a conversation that doesn't include topics such as heart rate or gu or MAF or drop bags or Born To Run (note: I do still have the capacity to do this, as Shad and I have been talking GPS watches and wrist based HR monitoring all morning via e-mail).  I don't expect to be treated like royalty, but don't go out of your way to be an asshole to me.  We used to go up to Leadville several times during the summer to eat/drink/sleep/play, but nowadays we just drive half an hour less to Salida or Buena Vista since they treat us tourists so much better there.


Anywho, there is a new brewery in town.  Periodic Brewing.  It's in the old Rosie's building.  I always got the idea that Rosie's existed just to say they had the highest brewery in the country and making good beer was a very distant second to that idea.  Not the case with this new place.  I had three beers (the Matchless IPA, the Powerline Black IPA, and the Beetlekill Brown) and they were all tasty.  Pints were reasonably priced, think they were $5 which is standard for Colorado.  And the bartenders were friendly with the customers.  Good beer, nice people, fair price, maybe this place will make it.



They told me there is a new brewery slated to open this summer down near the Silver Dollar.

5 comments:

GZ said...

Fairplay baby!

brownie said...

We prefer Alma. Too many asses in Fairplay.

mike_hinterberg said...

Perfect summary of Leadville. And ultrarunners.

Good note on the brewery. And: I always remember if a place has beer that costs $4 or $6.

Wyatt Hornsby said...

We were also up there last weekend. Had lunch on Sat and Sun at City on a Hill, where they tend to be nice to the non-locals. Ordered pizza from High Mountain Pies and the delivery guy was super nice. The folks at the cabin place where we stayed were nice, too. Guy at the liquor store was also nice. But, yeah, I agree with you that many of the locals can be very unfriendly and downright rude. Back in 2010 or 2011, I had a woman accost me for changing my shirt after the LT Marathon. I honestly thought she was gonna start swinging at me. I know Brandon also has stories.

brownie said...

We do have good experiences in Leadville. The folks at Melanzana are always friendly. And we do love High Mountain Pies, the people are great to us and our dog and the food rocks. I would like City on a Hill a lot more if it didn't take so long just to get a cup of joe, but the employees are always nice, though they usually aren't locals and we usually have a lot of mutual friends.

I don't mean to beat on Leadville, I'm just pointing out that the place has fallen way down on our list of places to go for a day or weekend trip. Hell, Canon City and Pueblo have passed Leadville on my list. I want to like Leadville, it's just getting harder and harder to do so.