Tuesday, September 24, 2013

beer

I have not only been slacking on the running, but on the blogging as well.  Sorry to disappoint all my fans.  It's that time of year when running takes a backseat to other life happenings, but I'll be back at it soon enough.

Not getting completely lazy though, as I've been hitting the rock gym once again as well as hanging out on the bike.  Had my farthest ride ever on Saturday at the Bikes & Brews shindig down at Canon City.  We also launched a new running team that will soon overtake the Nike Oregon Project for dominance in the USA:


Bikes & Brews was a fantastic event.  Everyone should put it on the calendar for next year.  Somehow it will be even better in 2014 since we'll be able to bike over the Royal Gorge bridge by then.  We stopped four times for beer on the ride, including the Whitewater Bar & Grill, which may have slowed our time a bit.  Here's a shot that pretty well sums up the event:


Lots of cool stuff coming up.  Headed out to Pagosa in two weeks to try the Epic Mountain Challenge.  I'm weak on the bike, and especially weak on the mountain bike, so it should be interesting.  Longest ride is a 50K, so if it gets too bad I'll just throw the bike over my shoulder and run the thing.  More importantly, I've heard good things about the new Riff Raff Brewing and I can't wait to try it.  Our hotel is within walking distance so Sunday's races should be fun.

I'm on the Red Leg men's team for the PPRR Fall Series, which is always a hoot.  Our only goal is to beat the Red Leg women's team.  I'll miss the first race but will be there for the final three.  If you're on the Front Range, this series is definitely worth the trip.

And I just signed up for my first gravel grinder.  They're having one that starts and ends at Pikes Peak Brewing.  So if you picked up the groupon from PPB yesterday, and can ride a bike, you have no excuse not to join me at the Greenland Gravel Grinder.

That's all nice and stuff, but I think what I'm most looking forward to in the next few months is the long awaited launch of the Manitou Brewing Company.  Read about it here.  Hired a guy away from Cascade Brewing in Portland, so there's some potential there.

Lots of yuppie beer news in this post, but rest assured I'm still getting my fair share of yellow beer.  Had lots of old friends from Texas visit over the weekend, and I bet I spent about 15 hours at the Red Rock Lounge.



4 comments:

Chris Boyack said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the grinder. I was checking calendars last week and hadn't seen that one. Going to try to make it.

MadMarmot said...

Strange,i always thought it was waterbottles that went into those holders on the bikes?

brownie said...

Boyack, hope to see you down here! I'd offer crash space but I think Monument is almost as close to you as it is to me.

Those holders are either for beer or light batteries so you can ride at night when the bar closes.

Chris Boyack said...

Yeah, Monument is pretty easy drive for me. Thanks, though! Just signed up. Looking forward to it.