Sunday, August 12, 2007

Mt. Princeton

Melissa and I headed out EARLY to bag Mt. Princeton on Saturday. Princeton is the one that dominates the view on your way into Buena Vista on Hwy. 24. Great hike, we also bagged 13,300ft Tigger Peak, which happened to be my 30th named peak, along the way. After Princeton (my 17th 14er; it was Melissa's 20th), we grabbed a long lunch at the South Park Saloon and then headed out to Kite Lake to set up camp. My camera battery ran out shortly after we got the tent up, but my pics can be seen here.

Set up camp at 12,000 feet, had a few beers, then it was up early on Sunday to do the DeCaLiBron. Hit the trail pretty hard, did the entire loop in 4:23. That included our lengthy stays on all the peaks, so M & I could probably do this loop in well under 3:30, if not under three hours. I invited a lot of newbys on this hike, and I think most of them were scared of doing four 14ers in one hike, but there was a seven year old who did the loop today. And I doubt he's the youngest ever to do it.

Great weekend of altitude training right before Leadville! Woohoo!


No comments: