Wednesday, October 31, 2018

2019 is all set...

...running wise, at least.

I want to phase out the super long stuff so I can do whatever the hell I want on weekends.  Run, bike, hike, drink, climb, van-dwell with the wife and dog, sit on a chair and hand out beer and hot dogs to CO trail hikers.  A lot of those activities have been pushed to the side over the years with the ultra stuff, as I always felt I should be spending hours and hours plogging along in the woods at 3-4mph.

So this year, I'm going to concentrate on the local Triple Crown.

June 9 - Garden Ten Miler
July 14 - Summer Roundup (hard to keep up but that race is now a half marathon at Cheyenne Mountain State Park)
Aug 24/25 - Pikes Double

It wouldn't be pretty, but I could pull off those races without running at all.  Hopefully that won't be the case and I do want to do well in those three races, but there won't be any pressure to train my ass off.

$100 and I have also discussed doing the Creede Mountain Run in '19, which (I think) is the weekend after Pikes.  Might be a good week to take off in the van and hang out in the San Juans.

Certainly that's not to say I'm done racing.  Besides JFK, I'm signed up for two road halfs (Pueblo and Platte River), and I'd like to do more local 5k's in '19.  But other than Pikes and Creede, nothing that will take more than two hours.  We are also discussing a possible trip to Utah so I could bike the White Rim trail and then we could all hike Kings Peak.

With the extra time I'd like to concentrate on knocking out some more of the 14ers.  I still have a bunch to go and after having spent over a dozen years in Colorado now there's no reason I haven't climbed them all.  Luckily I can fit that goal in with spending more time with the family.

3 comments:

GZ said...

I'll have to check if I am eligible to Double. I think as I have not run Pikes since 14 I am not (and I think I'll need to get some sort of qualifier for the PPM). Even if I was, I doubt I'd do that. No sandbagging in the marathon because of your Ascent.

brownie said...

I tend to do better in the Marathon on Double weekend.

We need to get Fuller down here to get the old blogger band back together!

Olga said...

LOVE your plans. Sounds like ours:) except the Pikes double. Interested in two-family Collegiate peak loop? Not at my pace, but more of a 20-a-day thing? Want to take hubz on it some time in August. Yes on local flavor of short races. We haven't raced in 4 years, looking forward plodding at the tail (for me, anyway) and not give a care in the world.