Sunday, July 05, 2020

San Luis/Challenger/Kit Carson

Finally got a few more 14ers done over the long weekend.  Solo trip, I left right after work on Thursday and made it down to Dome Lakes State Wildlife Area for the night.  Up early on Friday to finish the long drive and finally bag San Luis Peak.  14 miles in just under five hours with 3497 feet of climbing.



On my way out I decided on a whim to head up to Cochetopa Pass.  Had no idea of how the dirt road was, which is taking a chance with a low clearance vehicle.  But it was a great drive and a cool part of Colorado I'd never been to.  Saw more bikepackers than cars.  Also went over a milestone in the van.


Hit Three Barrel Brewing for beers and pizza.  Desert at Square Peg in Alamosa.  Then it was off to Crestone to rest up before a big day on Saturday.

Alpine start, up at 4AM and running by 4:30AM.  Knew this was going to be a long day and it didn't disappoint.  But I was able to bag the Challenger Point/Kit Carson double.  I'm now up to 38 Colorado 14ers.  And one California 14er if you're keeping score at home.

On the ridge leading to Challenger, Kit Carson behind that:




Taken from the Challenger summit, this is the route over to Kit Carson.  Can't find a pic that doesn't make this look sketchy, but it's actually not that bad.


That section after I completed it:


The summit of Kit Carson.  Hard to find a bad view when you're in the Sangre de Cristo range.


Didn't see this sign on the way out, maybe a good thing.


Willow Lake, five miles from the trailhead.  A lot of people do this as a two or three day hike, setting up camp at this lake.


Very long day, 16 miles and 9.5 hours. 6362 feet of climbing.  Made for a great weekend in the mountains for sure.  I skipped Salida on the drive back because it was so busy, but Florence Brewery made room for me to enjoy a few celebratory beers.

Awesome couple 'o days in the mountains, and I even made it home in time to watch some rock and roll livestreams.


The peaks capped off a solid week.

run - 37 miles, 15.5 hours
ride -  57 miles, 5.5 hours
hike - 18 miles, seven hours

Tennessee virtual run - 556.5 miles down, past the town of Chuckey.  87.7% finished.  78.5 miles to go.

CO Trail virtual ride - 371 miles down.  178 to go.  I have until the end of September to finish this so I'm not in a big rush.  Plus I got word that the Lake City Alpine 50 will be happening, so at some point I'll have to start riding more miles.

2 comments:

The Padre said...

Kick A$$ Brother Man - How Was The Road Style Guitar Picking - Dig The GZ Photo - Keep On Keeping On

Cheers

Jill Suarez said...

Thanks for inspiring a trip down there for me and a couple good friends !