Thursday, November 05, 2015

NYC

That didn't quite go as planned.  3:28:45.

It's been a fun 2015, but results-wise nothing has been spot on with me since I crashed my bike at the Bailey Hundo in June.  I gave it my best shot one last time at NYC, but once again I just didn't have it.  Was on pace through 12ish miles and then just couldn't hang anymore.  So I slowed down and enjoyed getting to run through the streets of The Big Apple.  Just after the hash beer check at mile 23 the 3:30 pace group passed me, and this motivated me to finish somewhat hard.  The whole thing beat me up pretty bad, and my quads are still pretty sore today, four days after the race.

Going to take some significant time off running for a while to let some minor, nagging injuries heal up.  The dog loves this, as it now means hour long off leash walks in the Garden every morning. 

Not sure what the running future will bring for me in terms of aggressive goals anymore.  I still think a sub three Pikes is in the cards, but I'm not sure I have it in me to go sub three in a road marathon anymore.  I just don't do, nor want to start doing, the type of training required for that.  Thinking my new standard will just be to BQ, which I can train hard for but not have to crush myself on race day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consider the pub/marathon hybrid. If I can sink 5 pints on a marathon course and share a few laughs in the pubs along the way, then four hours sounds pretty impressive to most.

Oh, right...consider Siracusa (Sicily) Marathon in April: the goodie bag has a bottle of wine, the flights to Catania are dirt cheap (at least from here they are £50 round trip), and there are only about 80 runners touring the Greek and Roman ruins. We're going the Wednesday before and staying till the Wednesday after just to feast, drink, hit the beach and do the run (the winner last year on the dead flat course came in at 2:46).

brownie said...

My two slowest miles of the day were when I stopped to drink a beer.

Bob Johnson said...

Have any good local beers in NYC?
You're going to run a qualifying marathon for Boston 2016?

brownie said...

I was kind of disappointed in the NYC beer scene. Not a whole lot outside of Brooklyn Lager. Didn't find a single brewery either. Mostly drank Yuengling.

I want to run a BQ, but I won't be going back to run Boston again (I ran it in 2010). Looking like the road marathon for next year is the Mt. Desert Island marathon in Maine.

Bob Johnson said...

That would be a good choice. My wife and I vacation there every other year (used to be every year). We got married on a boat in Frenchman's Bay. Tons of great beer in Maine.