Friday, January 11, 2013

Jackson Day 9K

It wasn't all drinking down in NOLA.  We visited the zoo and ran the Jackson Day 9K.  The rest of the trip was all drinking though.

The Jackson Day run is the seventh oldest race in the USA.  This was the 106th race.  By chance, I've run two older races - the Boston Marathon and the Run For The Diamonds 9 miler in Berwick, PA.

Despite being half drunk at the start, I ran pretty well.  Which should be expected at a race below sea level.  Rainy and cold, I started off at what I believed was a ten minute mile to warm up.  Hit the mile in 7:13.  I kept the same easy effort, taking in the sights (including pelicans flying overhead) and not caring at all about the race going on around me.  But I continued to pass a ton of people.  6:36, 6:25, 6:25, and 6:16 were the final miles, finishing the last .6 mile at a six flat pace.  That kind of run would crush me back in Colorado, in NOLA it just served to wake me up before we started bar crawling again.

Fun race, but it seems the weather cut the field in half.  And I did fail in my only goal - to find a bar on the course.  Every one I passed was closed.  One of the cooler things about the race for me was the fact that at the mile markers they didn't have a clock.  They had a volunteer with a stopwatch yelling out times.  Reminded me of my old cross-country days.

My garmin data for the race is here.  It's considered one of the hillier races in NOLA, twice going from one foot above sea level all the way up to four feet, and then raising all the way to eight feet above sea level at the finish.


No comments: