Thursday, July 05, 2007

Wed run

Great run to start off the 4th of July. Was supposed to meet some of the CRUD guys, but I got there a bit late so I was chasing them the entire way.

First part went up the Barr Trail to Barr Camp. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'm ready for the upcoming BTMR. Checked in with Neil and Teresa and they said the CRUDers had left less than ten minutes before. So I quickly wrote "Wisconson Sucks!" by Katie's entry in the log (she had been there earlier and was on her way to her first summit of Pikes) and took off down the Elk Park trail.

The Elk Park trail reminds me of why it's so great to be a trail runner. It's a beautiful trail that runs from Barr Camp out to Elk Park along the Pikes Peak summit highway. Some of the best views of Pikes, but most people won't ever get to check it out since it involves a hard physical effort. Great workout to go along with the views, since the entire six miles out is above 10,000 feet.

Finally caught up to some of the CRUD guys just in time to go check out the Oil Creek tunnel. Had heard about it before and wanted to see it. Next time I'll hafta bring a flashlight so I can go deeper into the tunnel.

Anyways, back at Barr Camp I realized I was running out of time so I couldn't join the group for their run up to A-Frame. So I went back down the Barr Trail. Figured I ran a marathon, and I felt really good afterwards.

For those keeping score at home, that's two really good long runs in a row. Starting to get a little bit of my swagger back after the ass thumpin' I took at San Juan.

No comments: