Monday, August 14, 2006

DeCaLiBro!

After once again being turned away by shitty weather on Quandry Peak, I drug Nicole to Alma (and, of course, the South Park Saloon) and then out to Kite Lake.

Set up camp at Kite Lake and proceeded to drink a few brews. Beautiful night, and our tent was surrounded by 14ers on every side. Around 2AM a monsoon blew through and I thought we might get blown off a cliff, but my $20 Coleman tent I bought at the PX about five years ago held tough.

Up at 5:15AM, we stepped off at 6AM Saturday morning. Lincoln was by far the tough one, but the entire hike was awfully strenuous and most of it was well above 13,000 feet. Good class 2 with some sections of class 3 thrown in. For a flatlander, Nicole did pretty well, especially considering the fact that we had to push the pace due to threatening clouds slowly rolling in.

The stats:

Depart Kite Lake - 6AM
Summit Mt. Democrat - 7:45AM
Depart Democrat - 8:10AM
Summit Mt. Cameron - 9:40AM
Depart Cameron - 10:00AM
Summit Mt. Lincoln - 10:15AM
Depart Lincoln - 10:25AM
Summit Bross - 10:45AM
Depart Bross - 11:15AM
Arrive Kite Lake - 12:15PM

So there you have it. 6+ hours. Four 14ers to add to my list (Bross was my tenth one!). 4 cans of PBR. 4 Philly blunts. And a great excuse to head back to the South Park Saloon for a bacon cheeseburger and some more PBR!

My pics are here.

Nicole's pics are here, and those ones include Red Rocks, the train, and whitewater rafting.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

You did the saddle....was Democrat rough or easy? was it still a scramble to the top?

Rafael said...

You suck. Is it bad that I envy your life right now?

Jes said...

I envy his life right now, too. It kind of makes me feel sick to my stomach to admit that. It also makes my liver hurt...

Pimp Doggie Dawg said...

bad ass dude!!!!!